Of all the tips and tricks that exist on the web to promote your product or service, the most impressive, successful and cost-effective may be the Mommy Blog.
Mommy blogs are a relatively new genre of blogging made popular by mothers who, through their endless and understandable efforts to make their chaotic lives more organized, efficient and affordable, review and share new ideas, services and products with other mothers (and anyone who is the product of a mother). The community of Mommy Bloggers has grown huge (tens of thousands of blogs) for a number of reasons:
- Blogging is a low/no-cost method of reaching an unlimited readership
- People who read mommy blogs are highly motivated to act on the advice of authoritative bloggers
- Subscribers are usually rewarded for their sharing and commenting on mommy blog posts
So, what can you, as a small business owner, do to benefit from this huge mommy blog resource?
One of the things that successful mommy blogs do well is to create value for both readers and merchants. That value is delivered in a number of ways – information, entertainment, and giveaways. There’s something perfectly authentic about a mother who speaks to other mothers from her own experience. And there are few bloggers who do it as well as Little Brim (link at end of post). Little Brim is a blogger who posts weekly product reviews for mothers. She incorporates her own experiences, actually using the products she examines in her daily life. Her insightful, well-researched opinions are followed by hundreds of readers.
Zara Merbaum, an inventor, mother, and DecemberPress Web Design client, sent samples of her Motherload Baby Bags (link at end of post) to Little Brim with the hope that her product would be seen by hundreds of moms. Motherload Baby Bags are a brilliant and stylish replacement for the millions of disposable ZipLock® Bags used to tote children’s snacks, changes of clothing, toys, dirty diapers, clean diapers and medications. Merbaum created a line of beautiful bags labeled and colored for easy identification. They’re machine washable, inexpensive and environmentally smart because they end the endless flow of plastic bags into our landfills.
Merbaum also included a deluxe set of her baby bags as a free reader giveaway. The instructions to win are clear and appear at the bottom of the Little Brim review of Motherload Baby Bags:
- The giveaway period will begin on November 4 (the date of the post) and end November 8 at midnight EST.
- For a chance to win, participants must “like” Motherload Baby Bags on Facebook.
- Participants must post on the Little Brim blog and mention that they “liked” Motherload Baby Bags on Facebook.
- The winner will be selected by November 10th at random using a website designed for such giveaway drawings.
Little Brim reviewed Motherload Baby Bags for her weekly product review, describing an 18-hour family road trip. The experience is documented with descriptive language and plenty of colorful photos of the product in use. By the end of the review, there’s no doubt that Motherload Baby Bags is a no-brainer for all parents. The product works great and looks great.
What was the cost of getting Merbaum’s Motherload Baby Bags in front of hundreds of actual mothers? Simply the cost of the product and shipping to Little Brim. No advertising fees. No sales commissions. No contracts. And remember, Little Brim’s readers are all qualified leads, meaning, they are probably reading the blog because they have child-related product and service needs that are not being met.
Little Brim also includes links to Motherload’s website.
So… for the cost of some product and shipping, Zara Merbaum got:
- A detailed, highly authoritative review of her excellent product
- Multiple links to her ecommerce website that will generate more traffic, sharing and, most importantly, sales
- Many more “likes” on her company’s Facebook page
- Affirmation that her hard work is paying off and encouragement to keep going
Sounds like a good deal to me.
DecemberPress build motherloadbags.com on the BigCommerce eCommerce platform. The site features intuitive navigation, bright, colorful photography, simple product categories, and an easy customer checkout process. DecemberPress is an official BigCommerce Partner. If you have a marketing, ecommerce or website challenge, contact DecemberPress today.